The government is likely to withdraw all additional charges against underworld don Abu Salem and inform Portuguese authorities about the same, official sources said on Wednesday.
The decision in principle was taken at meeting in the Ministry of Home Affairs where officials from the Central Bureau of Investigation try of External Affairs also participated.
The sources said the Home Ministry had been declared as a nodal ministry to take a decision on this and also liaise with other police forces where he is facing cases.
It was decided that the Portuguese courts will be apprised about the recent Supreme Court of India's order which had clearly spelt that the order of the Portuguese court should be respected and also stayed the TADA proceedings in 2 cases against Salem.
Portugal's Supreme Court had recently upheld the order of a lower court there, terminating his extradition for "violation" of deportation rules by Indian authorities.
At the time of Salem's extradition, India had assured Portugal that no charges attracting death penalty, or jail for more than 25 years would be pressed against him, but such charges were later brought in later by Delhi Police and Mumbai Police.
During the meeting, the CBI and External Affairs officials gave a presentation that non-adherence of executive assurance would not augur well for the future cooperation from foreign nations, the sources said.
(source: Press Trust of India)